Dear Friends and Families of Los Ranchos,
The Buddy Bench has finally arrived and students are already loving it! It is bright and red and inviting for students needing a buddy. The idea of a Buddy Bench was started by a first grader in Pennsylvania. He had heard about it when researching an elementary school in Germany. That was in 2013. Since then, Buddy Benches have been popping up everywhere. We appreciate our Los Ranchos PTA funding ours. It has already been a great addition to our playground and our focus on connecting students and building community. Thank you PTA!
The first edition of the Roadrunner Times, our Los Ranchos newspaper, is hot off the press. Los Ranchos writers have been gathering every Thursday at lunch to write interviews, surveys, guides, updates and much more. It is a great team of students. This is open to all 4th - 6th graders. They also welcome contributing writers who may not have the time to participate on a weekly basis. Enjoy your own copy of the Roadrunner Times by clicking on the link in the newsletter. I want to thank all the students who have participated. We look forward to many more editions. A special thanks goes to Los Ranchos parent, Tracy Robertson, who is offering amazing support to the process.
Have a wonderful weekend!
- Vision Screening, Friday, October 28th, morning TK, K, 2nd, 5th and Spec.Ed.
- Walk-A-Thon, Friday, October 28th 11am-12pm, Family lunch 12-1pm
- Make up Picture Day -Thursday, November 3rd
- No School - Friday, November 4th
- No School - Friday, November 11th
- Minimum Days, 1pm Dismissal K-6th Grades, November 14-18th
- Thanksgiving Break, Monday, November 21- Friday, November 25th
- PTA Holiday Boutique, Tuesday, December 13th
- Winter Break, No School Starting, Friday December 23rd. Students return January 9th, 2017
Recently there has been reports of scary clown stories circulating among students. Here are some guidelines/ideas for supporting your child this Halloween season. First and foremost, reassure your child that s/he is safe. Rather than tell them to "not be afraid" inform them of what a "hoax" is and share the "myths" that you may have grown up with (Bigfoot, Zombies, Vampires). Explain that what is on the internet does not mean it's the truth. Reassure them that even though people are dressing up in such costumes, it doesn't mean that they are going to hurt you.
Set your child up for success by going with them when they go trick or treating. If their fear shows up before bedtime, refrain from saying things like "don't be a baby or a scaredy cat". Instead, practice deep breathing with them and positive self talk such as "I am safe".
Another practice is to walk around the house with them and show that all doors are locked and windows are secure. Limiting or refraining from spooky/scarey movies and or books will also help in maintaining a calm state before bedtime. If you need further support, please don't hesitate to contact me at school.
Mary Kay Stratton, Counselor
October 28, 2016
We're excited to kick this year's Walk-A-Thon fundraising season off by rolling out the ONLINE Los Ranchos Fundraising Website!
Please click below for the link to our event site or copy the URL into your browser.
In the event you have not yet seen your child's brown envelope - here are the 4 QUICK and EASY steps to create your student's Los Ranchos WAT Fundraising website:
1. Go to the Los Ranchos Walk-A-Thon Event Site, link included above!
2. Click the GREEN “PARTICIPATE” button.
3. Click “Create New Account”
4. Complete New Fundraising Page form.
1. To add another fundraising page click “Add Another PFP”
2. If you have only one participant click “Save”
Now that you have created your page(s) it’s time to start fundraising! Make sure you are on your fundraising page, share it with friends and family via email, facebook or twitter and watch your apple tree grow!!
Thank you for your support, GO Los Ranchos!
Your 2016 Walk-A-Thon Team
Powered by Parent Volunteers